Friday, October 28, 2016

VIDEO: Dry Embossed Details with Yana

Hello everyone! This is Yana Smakula and today I’m going to show you a quick way to add simple details to one layer projects.

In the past, I’ve talked about using a negative die cut panel to create a DIY embossing plate, today I’m going to show you how you can use your companion dies and add dry embossed details to stamped images.

I created 2 projects using different colors of ink, cardstock and sentiments. While my cards are Holiday themed, this technique works great for many other occasions. The only requirement - your stamps need to have coordinating dies.

Watch above or watch in HD at YouTube

You want to start by doing stamping first. I began by placing companion dies for the Holiday Boughs images I wanted to have embossed onto my panel. I taped them using low tack tape and made sure dies did not overlap; it's okay for them to touch on the edges, but not okay to overlap even a bit.

I placed coordinating stamps over the dies, moved the panel inside my MISTI stamp positioner and picked the stamps up using MISTI door. You don’t need to have a MISTI for this technique, you can also do this using a regular clear block.

Once stamps were mounted, I removed the dies and stamped my boughs using Last Leaf ink. I also added additional images to fill in the background. I stamped several branches using Mojito, added pine cones using Coconut Husk and berries using Gala Red dye inks.

After my stamping was done I replaced dies over the stamped images I wanted to have dry embossed, taped them in place and embossed in my die cutting machine using embossing sandwich.

Note: Check your die cutting machine manual to learn how to make embossing sandwich (to emboss with dies) for your die cutting machine. These sandwiches are different for different machines. You will need to use Spellbinders Embossing Mat to be able to emboss with dies.

When doing embossing you’ll need to do it all at once, otherwise you’ll flatten the previously embossed pieces. I embossed all the images in the bottom left corner first and in the top right corner later. I only partially covered my panel when I did the second embossing run not to flatten the previously embossed pieces.

Because the sentiments on my cards were heat embossed in white embossing powder, I needed to blend some ink over them to help them pop; I also wanted to add ink to my background to help dry embossing stand out.

I used Warm Wool ink to blend over the Oatmeal cardstock panel and a mix of Last Leaf and Mojito to blend over white.

Be sure to watch my video tutorial for more tips, see additional examples and learn from my mistakes.

Have fun stamping!

8 comments:

  1. These are truly lovely cards. I loved thevideo tutorial showing all the how to's and how not to's....that's very helpful. Thanks you so much. Have a fabulous weekend. Cheers Donna Z :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow pretty cards. Thank you for sharing the details on what to do and what not to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Love these cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful video Yana - beautiful cards. Thank you for showing the "prototypes" and what not to do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, but still looking for your supply list, though I see the names of the ink colors you used along the way. Really appreciate your explanation of why one technique worked and another didn't. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this technique! Thanks for sharing!
    Cristina
    thehouseoftheblackbirds.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful cards Yana and a great tutorial on the technique. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest