Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Embellishing Watercolor Cards with Joni

Hello everyone, Joni here, I know that a lot of us love to watercolor images. But, sometimes it can be difficult to decide how to embellish them without detracting from all of your beautiful work. If you want to add more to your design after watercoloring - to give it more impact - I've got a few ideas that I find work really well to share with you.

I started by stamping the Chrysanthemum image from Beautiful Bouquet: Mums stamp set onto watercolor paper using Versamark ink and heat embossed the image in white. Next, I watercolored the images using my old Windsor & Newton watercolor palette. But of course, any watercolor markers or palette you already have will also work.

I chose vibrant colors for my floral images and then a soft muted color to fill in the background. This contrast really makes the flowers pop even more. For a little more texture and interest, I added some deeper splatters using a more concentrated mix of the background color.

For the inside of my card I added a stamped panel of mum images. I wanted to include a gift card on the inside. So I used the Gift Card Layers Die to cut four corner notches to tuck the gift card into and securely hold it in place.

Next, I stamped the "you are" and "amazing" from the That is All stamp set. For a little dimension, I used the That is All Companion Die to die cut the "amazing" and adhered it with foam tape. I assembled my card. I added a strip of foil washi and adhered the watercolored panel on top of the white card base.

To kick it up a notch, I then applied Stickles in Diamond color on top of each of the mum images and let it dry. Finally, I also added some Liquid Pearls in White Opal to background of the card in clusters - this is a great alternative to sequins.

That's it. Here's another look at the finished card.

Thanks for dropping in, I hope you enjoyed!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, Joni! Great watercoloring, and I love the bold colors you got. Tfs! :) ~ Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful watercolors Joni. Love how you did the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible cards! So beautiful!!!
    Thank you for sharing your tips!
    I always struggle with decorating colored images!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your tips, Joni! Such a gorgeous card!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfectly embellished and I loved the inside too :) ! I too have few watercolored images and when I add them to card,I keep it mostly palin ,but your idea to add embellishment are fab and will surely follow them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your card...so beautiful!
    Cristina
    thehouseoftheblackbirds.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful ... so beautiful, Joni! Wish I could see the shimmer of the Diamond Stickles IRL. The addition of Liquid Pearls looks like water droplets, which makes the floral images look dew kissed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really gorgeous!! Love the muted background for that beautiful contrast, and the white pearls are so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really gorgeous!! Love the muted background for that beautiful contrast, and the white pearls are so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, OH. MY. GOODNESS. This is breathtakingly lovely and so beautifully done!! I am in awe - what a stunning card!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you the tips. I love your card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joni, this is GORGEOUS! I so love your work, and I love this stamp set (well, both of them). Beautifully done, and I hope to try this myself! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest