Thursday, January 22, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Borders & Backgrounds 2

Hello! It's Maureen here with a new feature for WPlus9 Design Blog. The third Thursday of each month I will be sharing a set of cards made using the same supplies, the same basic design elements and a "throwback" WPlus9 stamp set. Throwback you ask? I'm bringing back some of the older sets and showing new ways you can use them and/or how you can incorporate them into projects using new products as well.

This month my throwback set is Borders & Backgrounds 2. This is my all time favorite background set, the images are classic, timeless and gender neutral. It's one that I turn to time and time again.

I'm using Borders and Backgrounds 2 with the Pretty Peonies stamp set, the Pretty Peonies Dies as well as Hand Lettered Thanks.

My first card is a classic clean and simple design. I've offset the stark black and white with a pop of color on my flower. Rather than stamping the images, I heat embossed the outline with white embossing powder and then sponged over them with Wild Mango and Flamingo inks on the flower and Mojito and Appletini on the leaves. Borders & Backgrounds 2 was stamped at the bottom of this one layer card which grounds the flower and sentiment nicely.

My next card uses the same basic design elements but I've flipped the orientation of the card and added some more layers. This time I've stamped the images with Distress Inks and brushed over them with water and a paint brush. This technique gives such a pretty watercolored look without a lot of work.

Here I've stepped up the design even more by adding another layer and stamping Borders & Backgrounds 2 over the entire background. This time I've simply stamped the flowers in Wild Mango and Flamingo inks, rather than doing a technique with them.

As you can see, the same basic design elements as well as the embellishments were carried through from the simple one layer card all the way to the stepped up version of the design. It's fun to use the same supplies and design elements and see how many different ways you can use them. Make two of each card and you have a beautiful handmade card set, perfect for gift giving.

Thanks so much for stopping in.  See you next month for another Throwback Thursday!

Featured Supplies

19 comments:

  1. Those cards are stunners. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these cards, Maureen. I purchased the pretty peonies set and was at a loss as to how to use them. Now I have some good ideas. The borders look great in all three designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards, particularly love the first one. Very eye catching with the first part of flower white embossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cards!! I love the crisp black and white paired with the lovely oranges that you used: now I want that set!! :-) Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like all 3. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards! You certainly showed off the versatility of this stamp set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty cards, love all the fab designs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous array of cards ..thank you so much for the inspiration ..You make me so glad I invested in this set :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a truly inspired idea to use old stamps. I often wish to see the use of stamps I've had for a while and not just moving on to the new stock. I know using new things is important, but I love the idea that my past purchases are still appreciated and new uses of them are encouraged. Thanks very much!!! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy that I already have the background set. I am so inspired. The thank you set is on my wish list and with those fonts it is a must have. Thanks for so much beauty! LOVE the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty ways to use the border stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful cards Maureen!!! Love the way you used that background stamp, definitely inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delightful cards, Maureen! Love your use of the border stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sunshine dies and stamp set is so so cute! Sending a card made with these would surely bring a smile to any recipient's face! Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know using new things is important, but I love the idea that my past purchases are still appreciated and new uses of them are encouraged. Thanks very much!!! Keep it up. click here to find out more

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest