Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Oh My Ombre!

I am absolutely diggin' the Ombre trend I am seeing so much of lately. How about you?

What is "ombre"? In short: A French term meaning "shaded." Usually a multicolored stripe, with colors graduating from light to dark.

There are a couple of different ways to achieve this effect, but my favorite by far is by using Copic markers. No mess, the color is easy to lay down, and blending comes naturally to a Copic marker.

Pick a color family where you have at least three graduating shades. Lay down a couple lines of each color from lightest to darkest. Then blend each color transition by going over it with the lighter of the two shades. Work your way up into the lighter shade about two or three strokes, and down into the darker shade as well until you achieve the level of blend that you like.

This is a great technique for backgrounds, and works well for any card for any type of occasion. But don't be afraid to use it for die cuts as well. Create and ombre panel first, then die cut your pieces. Fast, easy, and no clean up.

So what do you think? Have you tried this technique? What was your favorite medium to use?

Project Supplies

Happy
Stamps: Super Star, Funky Foliage (Wplus9)
Ink: Tangerine Tango (Stampin' Up!) Versamark (Tsukineko); Copics (Y32, Y35, Y38, YR04)
Card stock: White (Wplus9); Summer Sunrise (Papertrey Ink)
Dies: Banner Trio (Wplus9)
Other: White Detail embossing powder (Stampendous)

Heartfelt Sympathy
Stamps: Guiding Light (Wplus9)
Ink: Chocolate Chip (Stampin' Up!) Versamark (Tsukineko); Copics (BG11, BG13, BG18)
Card stock: White (Wplus9); Aqua Mist (Papertrey Ink)
Other: White Detail embossing powder (Stampendous)

So Sorry
Stamps: Heartfelt Mix (Wplus9)
Ink: Purely Pomegranate (Stampin' Up!); Copics (R20, R83, R85, R89)
Card stock: White (Wplus9); Sweet Blush (Papertrey Ink)
Dies: Hearts & Clouds (Wplus9)
Other: White Detail embossing powder (Stampendous)

15 comments:

  1. I love these!!! I especially love the Heartfelt Sympathy card. I've been thinking of trying out this technique and will definitely do so now. Nice job, Dawn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn these are all stunning...the last one is my favorite! I'm afraid of Copics :) but with these you make me think I need them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning, girl! And such fabulous, color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning indeed!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a nice effect! I will be trying this! I love the one with the die cuts. So simple yet stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards!!! love them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS!never tried this ..but seing your cards I will def try it!
    The heart one is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness I love them all, I have to give this a go. Thanks for the heads up Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never tried this but I think I will now! What a gorgeous effect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning technique, Dawn! I especially love the die cut hearts stitched in a row on your last card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy guacamole! These are stunning! Thanks for highlighting such a fun technique, I'm off to play with my markers now....!
    Hugs!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this technique - but I don't have Copic Markers. You stated that there were a couple of ways of achieving this technique; Copic was your favorite. What are the other techniques. I want to use this for a background.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great colorful cards... it's still a popular trend, so I'd like to feature your cards in a trend article for Paper Crafters Library, http://blog.papercrafterslibrary.com/ The article will link back to your site.

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest